Frog Fractions (2012)
URL OF THE YEAR PODCAST EDITION
To play the media you will need to either update your browser to a recent version or update your
URL OF THE YEAR EDITION
Play this (Flash) game now here before continuing.
Seriously, play this game.
It's about 5 to 10 minutes long,
and it plays in your browser.
(Don't play on your phone though, it's Flash and Apple killed that.)
Definitely do that.
Frog Fractions is an edutainment game, and it is an invaluable part of your toolkit as either a present-day or future parent. Not only will it teach the young people surrounding you, it might make you a bit smarter, too!
Frog Fractions is a one-man production by Twinbeard, a.k.a. Jim Crawford. Ostensibly, it is a Flash-based Missile Command-esque edutainment 'title' that focuses upon fractions and general non-integer values. But if you look at it just right, it might let on to more than it initially appears...
- Ars: 'Frog Fractions 2 Kickstarter aspires to be so much more', by Kyle Orland (actual Kickstarter link here [now closed])
- Giant Bomb's Interview Dumptruck: The surprising history of Frog Fractions, interview between Klepek and Crawford
- Well, it isn't against the rules: Animal athlete loophole via TVtropes, and how AirBud addresses it
Zorkmids, straight outta the Zork series by Infocom, and, of course, a fan project to re-mint Zorkmids, sadly abandoned
Dafuq is 'Toejam and Earl'? Oh Sega. And of course, a reboot has already been successfully Kickstarted!
- Edutainment staff picks (play links via playDOSgamesonline): The Learning Company's Treasure Mountain!, Reader Rabbit, Midnight Rescue!
- Further edutainment picks (post-DOS piratable era): Sesame Street Countdown (no relation to the IT Crowd 'countdown', JumpStart series, LP Elroy Hits the Pavement
- Final nerd tier of edutainment: Logo, the dynamic educational programming language created in 1967 by Wally Feurzeig & Seymour Papert
- Yup, parodied that too: The Matrix end credits track, by Rage Against The Machine
- Spoiler city beyond: Frog Fractions' final tech tree
- Reference alert: Allen Iverson's just talkin' 'bout practice